[lbo-talk] Not just a medical procedure

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Mon Mar 6 12:29:29 PST 2006

At 01:47 PM 3/4/2006, Carrol Cox wrote:
>The "on demand" demand is the part of the argument that links it most
>strongly to women's liberation struggles -- i.e to making sexual
>relations for women as untrammeled as sexual relations for men. This is
>one of the reasons the "Choice" argument was so mistaken, by grounding
>the demand in bourgeois individualism rather than in personal needs and
>rights.
>
>One possibility for the future: formation of an organization around
>providing the morning-after pill to everyone who wants one. The program
>would have to be an illegal program, given the many constraints being
>put on that pill as well as abortion in general.

I don't think it matters how we presented anything. The fact remains that the people who've been pushing to turn the tide on this issue would have made this their goal no matter how we _framed_ the issue. K Bitch | Lab <<<<<>>>..

anti-abortionists have largely won, almost every state has fewer abortion providers than 10-15 yrs ago which means women must travel further, wait longer, pay more...

national group that accredits ob/gyn programs says only that abortion training *should* be offered, only about 10% of ob/gyn programs offer such training, some medical schools that do not says its because they work with catholic hospitals (the percentage used for doctor education is higher than percentage of catholic hospitals in US, which is about 20%) or that they operate teaching hospitals receiving public funding, plus, doctor residencies are done solely in hospitals, only about 5% of abortions in US are performed in hospitals (allowing clinic work residency to count would be important change)... mh