[lbo-talk] query: Arundhati Roy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Mar 6 13:50:23 PST 2006

Chris wrote:

> How is her stuff received in India? She really seems to like
> bashing India a lot.

It seems to me that there are three things that rankle LBO-talk posters who hate Arundhati Roy: she opposed the Afghanistan War; she is critical of an increasing alliance between Washington and New Delhi; and she doesn't think much of India's capitalist development. What she says on these subjects isn't an uncommon view among Indian leftists. Naturally, India's business-minded press takes a dim view of their take: e.g., <http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=88996>.

For a sympathetic view, one turns to The Hindu: <http://www.hindu.com/2006/03/03/stories/2006030303791400.htm>.

Whether or not you agree with her view of Indian politics or US imperialism, though, Roy seems to be doing what she can to support those whom she cares about, as well as Nadine Gordimer, to take another Booker Prize winner, did in a different context. . . .

New Delhi: Social activist Arundhati Roy Monday voiced her support to 53 women from Kerala's Wayanad district who were here seeking the government intervention to spare them the burden of clearing debts that drove their farmer husbands to suicide.

Even as Suresh Kurup of the Communist Party of India-Marxist from Kerala raised the matter in parliament, Booker Award winning author Roy said: "I share their concerns and support their causes."

Roy, who hails from Kerala, spent some time hearing distress stories of the protesting widows at the Kerala House here.

Blaming the government's policies for the plight of the widows, Roy said: "I recently heard (journalist) P. Sainath say that the only place in the Vidharbha region in Maharashtra which gets 24-hour electricity is the mortuary there."

She alleged that while the urban elite are benefiting the poor people continue to reel under debt due to the economic policies of the government.

The widows, Roy said, symbolised the conditions in the villages.

Finance Minister P. Chidambaram, meanwhile, assured parliament that he would look into Kurup's demand to use the compensation of Rs. 50,000 offered by the agriculture ministry to settle the loan owing and waiving the interest amount due.

"It should not be a problem," the finance minister told the house.

Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar also promised to send a team to Wayanad district for a report into the conditions of farmers.

The loan amounts are, however, much larger than the government compensation package worked out so far, said Mary Mathai from Kalpatta, who faces the task of repaying Rs.85,000 to the Kottathara Cooperative Bank.

"Please ask the bank to write off the loan so that I can lead a peaceful life with my children," she said.

Shiny Rajan, a 32-year-old widow, is not sure if any help will finally be forthcoming from the government.

"Politicians always make promises ahead of elections but later forget them," said Rajan, referring to the assembly elections to be held in Kerala in April.

"We are fully confident that our movement will bear fruit," said P. John, a farmer and the group leader.

<http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=21461></ blockquote>

I'm sure that the widows appreciate her speaking up even if you don't, and that's what matters.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org>