[lbo-talk] Crash, and Why US Films About Race Relations Are So Awful

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 15:02:06 PST 2006

>From a discussiuon on another list:

I'm so far out of it that I never even heard of Crash till last night. (I haven't seem Brokeback Mountain either.) Since I seem to have missed Crash my throw-the-TV-Out-The_Window moment at the Oscars came when the "Pimp" song by the 3-6 Mafia (I think that is what they are called) won best song.

Well, Hollywood's portraits of blacks has never been any good since DW Griffith, Steppin Fetchit or Butterfly McQueen. Even Catwoman was awful, and I had high hopes for Halle Berry in tight leathers with a whip.

That goes for stuff written by black writers and directors, as you point out, including most of Spike Lee, for example. The best of the stuff featuring blacks created by US directors and writers of any race

doesn't rise above B-film medium grade action/adventure/comedy, like Ice Cube's stuff, e.g., Barbershop, which at least does not at least provoke rage and nausea, partly because it has no pretensions to be more than sort of entertaining.

Then there are the handful of cross-cast films where, e.g., Denzel Washington is cast as an actor but it's not about race (Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing, e.g. -- though he's a Brit, Branagh, so I'm not sure that counts -- anyway, it doesn't say anything about the Color Line.

All of this is enough to make you think that Derrick Bell is right that Black-White relations in this country are hopeless. The critical (both in the sense of importance and in the sense of calling on the apparatus of critical theory) question is why so many well-intentioned, liberal, even radical people of both or all races, evidentally intelligent, even thoughtful, are so stupid about race.

Here is a half-baked thought. Step back for a second. Hollywood has produced a zillion dystopias ranging from silly (The Terminator, which I confess to finding entertaining) to serious (e.g., Blade Runner, Twelve Monkeys, Brazil) to pretentious (The Matrix) -- and no really globally hopeful or Utopian films. They even had to try to put a happy "revolutionary" ending ending, totally unconvincing, on a William Gibson inspired film Johnny Mnemonic (utterly forgettable with Keneau Reeves). In the current reason we got real-world dystopias in Syriana (not half bad, in my view) and The Constant Gardener (sentimental).

Back in the 70s it was sort of possible to show feisty workers organizing unions and battling the bosses in Norma Rae and Harlan County USA, but Silkwood, with the heroine's murder and ther corporation's victory, was more honest and lasting, and is still not a period piece like the other films I named.

The point is, that Hollywood seems to be able to represent to itself the Max Weber-Frankfurt School thought that there Is No Escape from the Iron Cage. Capital has won, resistance is unimaginable (which is why the second two Matrix films are so empty, like Johnny Mnemonic) the world is doomed. A very petty-bourgeois thought -- and I don't usually talk that way. Of course it has a certain degree of persuasiveness too, under the circumstances.

Ok, tie this in to race relations. It is is not permitted for the petty-bourgeois consciousness to just give up on the ideals of the civil rights movement and the hope of racial justice in the way that it is permitted to give up on larger visions of social transformations. Even though we can't see any clearer way out with the impasse in race relations than we can in class relations, we can't _say_ that out loud. We can't think it. So we get persuasive, well-thought out, intelligently articulated capitalist dystopias and lots of really stupid depictions of race relations that are meant to somehow express a hope that has no rational basis.

If this is right, I guess it's mildly encouraging that bad as the race relation films are, it's good that Hollywood and the petty bourgeoisie for home it speaks generally can't give up the ideal of racial justice. If it were to reconcile itself to racial oppression the way it has reconciled itself to capitalist exploitation and imperialism, that would be very grim indeed, even if we cannot in fact see much hope of racial justice. Unless you consider getting Colin Powell and now Condi Rice into the Sec of State's office to be progress . . . .