[lbo-talk] query: Arundhati Roy

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 15:08:00 PST 2006

I am astronomically over posting limit -- mea big culpa!

I don't _hate_ Roy; I've never even read her novel. Certainly not for having opposed the Afghan War, which _I_ opposed at the time. I dislike her for:

1. overblown rhetoric

2. a childish view of the world

3. a perceived attempt to pander to Western leftist audiences, leading to e.g. apparently deliberately lying about Indian public opinion

4. often seemingly not knowing what she's talking about

5. India-bashing so extreme it makes me suspect she has an agenda, like so many Russians who write Russia-bashing absurdities in places like the Guardian

--- Yoshie Furuhashi:

It seems to me that there are three things that rankle LBO-talk posters who hate Arundhati Roy: she opposed the Afghanistan War; she is critical of an increasing alliance between Washington and New Delhi; and she doesn't think much of India's capitalist development. What she says on these subjects isn't an uncommon view among Indian leftists.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!