[lbo-talk] Not just a medical procedure

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Mar 6 17:40:23 PST 2006

Kelley wrote:
>One possibility for the future: formation of an organization around
>providing the morning-after pill to everyone who wants one. The program
>would have to be an illegal program, given the many constraints being
>put on that pill as well as abortion in general.

Yes! I'm involved in a group doing just that, since 2004. We call it the Morning After Pill Conspiracy.

We pass out morning after pills (Plan B) publicly at demonstrations, do speakouts about the hoops we've had to jump through to get the pills and why we need them, throw them out into the crowd, and generally have tried to get arrested for violating the prescription requirement. So far none of us has been charged with that, although we think it's a violation in some jurisdictions and a misdemeanor in others (the laws aren't always clear when you're giving away a nonscheduled prescription medication). We also blocked the doors of the FDA early in 2005, which did get nine of us arrested. Almost 3,900 women have signed a pledge to 'give a friend the Morning After Pill'--we fax those to the FDA regularly. Many of us are plaintiffs in a lawsuit put together by the Center for Reproductive Rights, Tummino v. von Eschenbach. We argue that the FDA has treated this drug differently because it is used by women and that their bizarre blocking of the over-the-counter switch is discriminatory. We've just gotten the go-ahead from the judge to depose various officials like Crawford. Check out our website, http://www.mapconspiracy.org/ And, of course, donations are welcome! (Donation info is at the bottom of the 'take action' page.)

Jenny Brown