[lbo-talk] Wolcott on "V for Vendetta"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 19:44:41 PST 2006

Thanks to Dennis Perrin for cluing me in to Vanity Fair contributing editor James Wolcott's blog. Surprised how much I like it; also, surprised how eager I am to see V for Vendetta based on Wolcott's remarks, below.

-B.

The Red and the Black

[...]

“People shouldn’t be afraid of their governments governments should be afraid of their people.”

V for Vendetta may be--why hedge? is--the most subversive cinematic deed of the Bush-Blair era, a dagger poised in midair. Unlike the other movies dubbed “controversial” (Fahrenheit 9-11, The Passion, Munich, Syriana), it doesn’t play to a particular constituency or polarized culture bloc, it’s working on a deeper, Edger Allen Poe-ish witch’s brew substrata of pop myth.

Cultural conservatives will loathe it without seeing it (they love not having to leave their houses to lament the latest installment of civilization’s decline and fall) once they hear of and read about the movie’s disturbing political parallels (a fascistic TV host with a witty resemblance to Berlusconi, fertilizer explosives a la Timothy McVeigh; torture, renditions, and subway bombings; black hoods that will be forever associated with Abu Ghraib). Yet lots of cultural liberals with educated tastes will find it anxiety-producing and irresponsible too, not only because they’re more comfortable with humanistic stories and documentary techniques than with pop spectacle (as Kael discovered whenever she praised upstart movies like DePalma’s Carrie or The Warriors and received letters from profs and Ph.D couples complaining about her soiling the New Yorker’s space on trash), but because V for Vendetta doesn’t just depict a 1984’s dystopia--it advocates radical remedy, and illustrates what it advocates with rhapsodic, operatic, orgasmic flourish.

[...]

http://jameswolcott.com/archives/2006/02/the_red_and_the.php