[lbo-talk] Crash, and Why US Films About Race Relations Are So Awful

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 01:37:57 PST 2006

I just saw Crash and it was a letdown, too much like a sappy, maudlin, REM soft-rock video. Let's not forget that director Paul Haggis created Walker, Texas Ranger (the TV show). Strangely, that sort of shows in the ham-fistedness of this movie. Too many slow-motion montages with cautious zoom-ins to someone's face (Spielbergian?), as if to command the audience, "Feel along with this person, dammit, feel!" Some good parts, I guess, but the last 1/5 of the movie is especially obnoxious; there the soft-rock music video conventions are laid on fast and thick. Argh.

Still think David Strathairn should've won Best Actor, though Hoffman was good.

-B.

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> >From a discussiuon on another list:
>
> I'm so far out of it that I never even heard of
Crash
> till last night. (I haven't seem Brokeback Mountain
> either.) Since I seem to have missed Crash my
> throw-the-TV-Out-The_Window moment at the Oscars
came
> when the "Pimp" song by the 3-6 Mafia (I think that
is