[lbo-talk] Re: oscars

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Mar 7 07:07:23 PST 2006

Carl:

> Extravagant praise indeed. The Oscars struck me as
> homeopathic showbiz -- vanishingly small in entertainment
> value. But don't take my word for it.
> Google "boring + oscars" and see what a rich harvest of
> viewer ennui you get
> -- 250 hits right now:
>
> <http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=boring+oscars>

Boring does not even start describing it. It is exrcuciatingly painful, more so than sitting through a recitation of a telephone directory. At least in the latter, those mentioned by name do not get up and say something embarassingly stupid.

BTW, who needs Oscars & Hollywood anyway? If it is the latter days opium of the people - it is certainly much more brainless and dim-witted than the old opium. The holy scriptures might be a bunch of nonsense, but at least they require the ability to read, comprehend a train of thought, and understand parables analogies and metaphors.

Wojtek