[lbo-talk] Re: oscars

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 10:05:27 PST 2006

>From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>
>
>Carl:
>
>>[Having eyes, see ye not? and having ears, hear ye not? -- Mark 8:18. BTW,
>>the projected 41 million US audience mentioned below did not materialize.
>>Nielsen reports 38.8 million Americans viewed the Oscars, down 8% from
>>last year.]
>
>I've no doubt that Hollywood's biz is off -- nothing new on that front. I
>simply don't see the film industry "flatlining" which, to me, means that's
>it's dead. People will always want to watch movies.

People will always want to watch sunsets. Movies could be a passing fad, since the industry has entered a persistent vegetative state that is embarrassing to see. Movies seem to skew either to the vapidity of today's mass market releases -- "big screens .. awash in the fast and the furious, the cheap and the stupid," as that NYT article put it -- or to the suffocating solipsistic whimsy of the indie market.

Carl