[lbo-talk] query: Arundhati Roy

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 10:10:16 PST 2006

My comment -- see below -- was flippant. Of course, there is the question of what year you're talking about. If you're talking about the USSR fighting the Islamic extremists in 1988, maybe you're right that Osama and the like were anti-American. But the initial Soviet invasion (1978?) was more like the US invasion of Vietnam, to defend a beleaguered client state that didn't have much positive contact with its people. It is the former invasion that helped create Osama as a force to be reckoned with. Of course, no analogy is perfect...

I wrote:
> > if the US policy was justified, it seems that th
> > Soviet invasion was
> > justified, for much the same reasons.
-- Jim Devine / Bust Big Brother Bush! "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." -- Gertrude Stein