[lbo-talk] Re: oscars

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 10:17:52 PST 2006

Chuck wrote:
>>The other example of this "white suburban fear" genre that I can
think of is Tom Wolfe's "Bonfire of the Vanities." I remember abandoning that book after some scene about a stockbroker whose car breaks down in the wrong part of town. <<

info at pulpculture.org wrote:
>Well, the book's a little more nuanced in so far as it exposes the
racism of the character. IIRC, it is never clear that anything bad is going to happen to him, but that his racism and fear, as well as that of his mistress, lead them to run over the kid in their attempt to flee thus setting in motion the guy's arrest and trial... <

the book is far better than the movie. In the book, the main character goes from being a conservative to being a liberal, even a radical. Wolfe says something like "while a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged, a liberal is a conservative who's been mugged by the legal system."

have people read Wolfe's _A Man in Full_? it's about the whole US becoming prison-centric. Remarkably true, except for the mass movement into Stoicism . -- Jim Devine / Bust Big Brother Bush! "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." -- Gertrude Stein