[lbo-talk] Re: Afghanistan [was: query: Arundhati Roy]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Mar 7 12:39:34 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

> On 3/7/06, Andy F <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The US has killed at least that many in Afghanistan, too. But as long as the Uzbecks are cool with it, who cares?<
>
> I always follow the Uzbecks, no matter where they lead me.

If we really want to talk about the daths the u.s. has imposed on the world in the last 60 years we have to use 10s of millions, not thousands or even millions as our unit of measurement. It is rather disgusting to count the few thousand u.s. deaths as something that needs "solving." And besides, the u.s. has killed quite a few million of its onw people through inadequate or no medical care, pointless military casualties, workplace injuries and illness, nuclear testing, poor housing and public health, police harassment, the war on crime, malnutrition, air pollution . . . . Who started this obscene discussion? Someone who wandered in from the WSJ editorial page?

Carrol