[lbo-talk] Unions: Resuscitate or pull the plug?

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Mar 7 21:32:34 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <wsokol52 at yahoo.com>

> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
> > I always find these discussions kind of bizarre--
> unions not only directly
> > have $5-6 billion annually in income, but they
> indirectly control or
> > influence trillions of dollars in private and
> public pension fund monies.

-The question was not whether the unions have -resources, but whether they use them to further -progressive causes, and I do not think the answer to -it is automatically affirmative.

Yes it is, despite the crazy people on this list. Who funded the defense of social security this past year? Who funds the defense of Medicaid in states across this country? Who funds the defense of public education? Who funds the minimum wage fights across the country?

And the list goes on.

-- Nathan Newman