[lbo-talk] query: Arundhati Roy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 8 06:25:38 PST 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>
>>Yeah, right, there are no leftist social climbers.
>

>Writing a novel doesn't put you on the fast track to success, 99.99%
>of the time. (That's regardless of your ideology.) If you doubt
>it, try it yourself and see how far you get.

I'm no fan of Roy's political writings, but if she were looking for fame & fortune (aside from having achieved it with her novel), writing anti-imperialist essays for a western audience isn't really the way to go. Could you imaging the fat fellowships and advances that would hers if she were to write apologias for imperialism? Her income would rival that of the manager of a small hedge fund.

Doug