[lbo-talk] UFPJ

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Mar 8 15:19:36 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> What's the impression of list members about what United For Peace &
> Justice has been up to for the last few years?

-Gakh! But it's all we've got, so what can one say.

Yeah, except for: MoveOn.org -- a few million members DailyKos -- a million readers a day

Kos, feh. (Disclosure: I'm waging guerrilla war against him.)

Main selling point of UFPJ: "We're not A.N.S.W.E.R.!"

I think we're talking apples and kumquats here.

Kos and MoveOn are new, interesting, and important, but ultimately not as interesting as what UFPJ could help to spark and/or turn into. The former are interested in nothing more than rejuvenating the Dems. If they thought the pimples on Limbaugh's ass were a good issue to use against the Rs, they would start RushBump.Com tomorrow.

It's the unbounded rumblings of the masses that are source of the truly new (sometimes new and bad). I would include Nathan's state-based arena as well, since it is more creative and more reflects a marriage of substance and get-out-of-the-house activism. The Dem's satellites are intellectual wastelands, sort of a liberal-TVLand. My hope is based on what's unseen, and I feel fine.

Mbs