[lbo-talk] Afghanistan: a very temporary victory

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Thu Mar 9 05:34:05 PST 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> What do you think India's reaction would be if
> Pakistan were to have such a development?

I don't know. I haven't seen any discussion in the media about it. But Pakistan appears to be in a deep ideological crisis. The conflict between Sunnis and Shias, Punjab and other provinces, absence of an elected government etc.

You may want to look at the following news story:

Ulhas

Daily Times http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Attack on corps commander: 11 militants get death http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\02\22\story_22-2-2006_pg1_4

By Maqbool Ahmed

KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court (ATC) awarded the death sentence to 11 members of Al Qaeda-linked terrorist group Jundullah (God's Brigade) on Tuesday for killing 10 people in an ambush on June 10, 2004, targeting the Karachi corps commander's convoy.

The attack took place on Shahra-e-Iran near Old Clifton Bridge.Corps Commander General Ahsan Saleem Hayat, now deputy chief of army staff, was not injured.

The court, headed by Judge Feroz Mehmood Bhatti, found the accused guilty of the charges of murder, attempt to murder and detonating explosives causing damage to property and thus sentenced them separately for each charge.

The judge's departure from the courtroom was punctuated by slogans of 'Allah-u-Akbar' (Allah is great) from the convicts, who told reporters they were not afraid of death. "Tell Musharraf that he can exterminate us but not the spirit of fighting against the enemies of Islam."

Initially, the accused were tried inside Karachi prison for security reasons, but the venue was shifted to the KMC Rest House, where the five anti-terrorism courts of Karachi are located. The accused were awarded the death sentence under section 302 of the PPC for murder. They were also given life terms with orders for the confiscation of their property under sections 3, 4 and 5 of the Explosives Act for a bomb blast, 14 years of imprisonment for attempt to murder and 10 years for damaging property. Each convict was also ordered to pay Rs 100,000 in compensation to the family of the deceased, failing which each would undergo six months more imprisonment.

Daily Times - All Rights Reserved