Fw: [lbo-talk] not everything is getting worse...

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 13:43:41 PST 2006

Carrol Cox writes:

> If "fascism" (or some closely analogous movement) contests for power in
> the u.s., I suspect it won't be anti-gay. In fact, I suspect a _real_
> u.s. fascist movement wouldn't even be overtly racist or sexist.

Hmm - I'm not sure your premise is right. But l've got a language question here. A lot of people are worried about the U.S. moving even farther right than it is - to , as you put it some position "closely analogous" to fascism. Let's define the difference as: at the moment Carrol Cox faces no serious danger of arrests for posts on Lbo-talk. Maybe there are actions he takes elsewhere where that risk exists, but not for the style or content of the posts he currently makes on this particular e-mail list. There are serious worries about the country moving so far right that is no longer true. We'll leave aside how real the danger is; there is a real fear; so if the danger is not real it is still worth discussing in order to reassure people. We want to be able to discuss this - so we can come up with prevention/survival tactics if the danger is real, for reassurance if it is not. Ok, so if you strongly disapprove of the word "fascist" when discussing this danger (real or imaginary), what one word do you recommend instead?