[lbo-talk] Hofstadter

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 15:54:37 PST 2006

thanks for this! it stimulates thought.

The conspiracy (hidden hand) theory involves conscious volition to shape history; it is analogous to Intelligent Design theories.

On the other hand, social-scientific theories (including Marxian ones) often emphasize the invisible hand, the idea of unintended consequences of purposeful action. As noted before, the unintended consequences do not have to imply the best of possible worlds (as for may followers of Adam Smith). These theories are analogous to Darwinian ones.[*]

I think one reason why conspiracy theories are so popular is that people like to humanize history.

[*] In Darwin, creatures simply try to survive and breed. This can allow either adaptation to the environment or the destruction of one or more species. As Gould points out, this doesn't guarantee any kind of optimality.

On 3/9/06, Chip Berlet <c.berlet at publiceye.org> wrote:
> Richard Hofstadter, "The Paranoid Style in American Politics", in The Paranoid Style in American Politics and Other Essays (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1965);<
-- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles