[lbo-talk] Pakistan

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 07:39:41 PST 2006

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> Russia, India and Iran were against Taliban regime
> and were supporting the Northern Alliance before
> 9/11. US joined this struggle after 9/11. Thus there
> has been no change in anti Taliban POV of Russia,
> India and Iran. It's US position that has changed
> after 9/11.

Yup. If I recall correctly there were attempts made at the time to completely ignore this and explain the ardent support of the US invasion by those countries (and all the 'stans) as a result of being bribed, threatened, or quid pro quo'd by the US. For instance, Russia was supposedly "acquiescing in exchange for American silence on Chechnya," completely not noticing that a) Afghanistan and Chechnya are linked and b) Russia does not care what the United States says about Chechnya. It was really silly. If I let a sniper into my apartment to take a shot at the crazed maniac in the building across the street, that must be because the sniper bribed or threatened me.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!