[lbo-talk] Re: [PEN-L] Unvarnished Greenspan

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 08:24:29 PST 2006

I don't see anyplace where AG says "Bwa ha ha Ha HA!"

On 3/10/06, Marvin Gandall wrote:

Greenspin By CHRISTOPHER BUCKLEY Wall Street Journal March 10, 2006

"Penguin executives emphasized that the book . . . would present Greenspan's unvarnished opinions for the first time." -- The Washington Post

"One of the duties of a Fed Chairman is periodically to schlepp up to Capitol Hill to testify before various Senate or House committees, consisting of largely ignorant people. But I enjoyed these little excursions on several levels.

"First, the senators were always very deferential, and would call me 'Mr. Chairman' and agree with anything I said. They would plant metaphorical kisses on certain smooth portions of my anatomy, and I found this to be generally agreeable. Second, it was a chance to try out whatever new phrase I had devised to describe the general state of the economy, such as 'irrational exuberance' or 'continued growth.' Typically, I would come up with these chestnuts in the shower or while smoking a cigar after sexual intercourse... -- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles