[lbo-talk] we sooo won the culture wars

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 10 12:02:27 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> No, you never win anything permanently. And these fuckers will never
> give up. But I've never bought the argument that the "culture wars"
> were a distraction or of secondary importance.

A footnote that may be trivial but may be important. The point of departure for treating the "culture wars" as s distraction is calling them "culture wars" -- i.e., in effect identifying "culture" as a distinct realm of human activity. This is related to my parenthetical objection to your declaring your desire that this list bridge the / in "culture/econ," my point being that as soon as you recognize them as two different things you have confirmed the /, and no efforts to bridge it will succeed. You have to start with a unity and divide,not start with fragments and try to combine.

Carrol