[lbo-talk] we sooo won the culture wars

c p cpthron at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 10 12:49:36 PST 2006

>Subject: [lbo-talk] we sooo won the culture wars
>To: Lame Brained Onanists <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org>
>
>http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1707141&amp;CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
>
>I've never understood that claim anyway. In society -- in social life --
>you don't win anything once and for all. So please don't ever peddle that
>bullshit again with the intention of making fun of those of us living in
>red states who've been telling you that it ain't won here and if it was,
>they weren't letting up, taking their defeat like gentlemen.

There are a few signs of promise. Look at the tone this guy is taking at a conspiracy site, where he is complaining in the second half of the article about the overwhelming number of local, out gay high school students and being vastly outnumbered in protesting the Gay-straight alliance in Sandpoint Idaho, making him 'grossly out of step' as he says. Initially, it would seem to be a pain to have him in your community, but you could find the same guy in Manhattan or San Francisco suburbs, and I don't think you would have seen this a dozen years ago. I don't remember anyone out at school. http://www.rense.com/general69/LIVE.HTM

-Christine

Switching subject, what is your take on who these people in the discussion forum of fluwikie.com is? If I were a sociology undergraduate, maybe I'd make it my term paper. There are hundreds of participants posting at a rapid rate, vastly tilted towards nutty viewpoints. It was linked from the frontpage of CNN. There could be millions of Y2K survivalists or folks with religious proclivity towards endtimes preparations within the U.S., and they could still be a small minority. But you would also expect them to be dispersed all over the internet. So does this represent an unusual concentration of a wacko viewpoint? The thing is, preparation for hurricanes, earthquakes and tornados is far more realistic, and responsible people should do it and discuss it, but there is a strong undertone here of rural people hating city people, xenophobia, always switching back to discussion of ammunition for expected hordes of city people, and attention to vastly unrealistic details of what to purchase at Sam's club and how to hide it from your neighbors (i.e. why would people congregate to attack you due to a transmissible disease), and it's antigovernment too. Also, a lot of them really really *want* a bad flu, and even ponder why they feel that way explicitly and say that the population needs to be reduced and we need to learn to be self sufficient like in the depression again, even though people totally weren't self sufficient then, nor is their barrel of rice really going to put them ahead of any wealthy person. But in europe, which has denser cities and is closer to military fighting, I don't detect a subpopulation anticipating a flu conflict, and they just are willing to pay for epidemiologists and public health. http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Forum.Forum http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Forum.HowSecretAreYourPreps http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Forum.CaliforniaPreppers

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/