[lbo-talk] NATION review of Fitch

Michael Hirsch mmh655 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 23:08:44 PST 2006

Yoshie:

Yes, what you say is true. But you needn't say it. The larger issue is: why are folks being so thick about a book that is well worth struggling with. L'il Kim wrote a self-serving review, faulting Fitch for "oddly" ignoring "the power of business in America," when, conveniently, the power of business is the topic of her next book (and I hope she doesn't drop the ball.) More to the point, business power is hardly absent in Fitch's book. Neither is class struggle. He demonstrates how business wages a class war in Europe, too, but unions overseas have at least been able to advance a social democratic agenda, so that more than a shadow of welfare legislation and working class protections remain in those nations. It's his take on corruption and clientalism, which have fragmented solidarity here, that is new. If Philips-Fein can't see that class struggle is at the heart of Bob's analysis, it's because she's not looking. Matt Witt, an ex Teamster insurgent who should know better and is now ensconced at the Labor Center in VA ,also swipes at Bob, and for writing a brief he thinks that Karl Rove could subscribe to. Saying that is either scurrilous or dumb, and you decide. It is surely sad that that is how the left argues.

You know, I work for a union, too, and defending Bob's book is no day at the beach. But I'm damned if I'll say anything as preposterous as that he is doing the man's work. He's doing OUR work, or at least starting the effort. ( And that's the last I'll say about it until my own review is finished.)

Mike Hirsch