[lbo-talk] Hofstadter

Seth Ackerman sethackerman1 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 11 00:14:49 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Dennis Claxton wrote:
>
>>> Is it a Cox-like shyness about generalizing about patterns
>>> of thought, because everything is so incommensurate?
>>

>> From my experience as a history grad student, it's more an apolitical
>> disinclination to speculate about what causes major changes. I think
>> the last big debate over a question like that among historians was
>> maybe the Brenner (from Robert Brenner) debate about the transiton
>> from feudalism to capitalism.
>

> Yeah, well Brenner's a red. But the Brenner debate was, what, 25-30
> years ago, right?

Yeah, it's both of these things, especially what Dennis says. Only I wouldn't use the word 'apolitical' - I think there's a certain politics behind it. It's an emphasis on conveying people's subjective experiences, rather than explaining why things happened. One almost gets the feeling that 'explaining' is a form of imperialism, a way of doing violence to people's agency. It's very much influenced by Geertzian anthropology, where the goal is to reveal, with a minimum of interpretive intervention, a particular group's systems of meaning. Again, you can detect a certain politics there.

On Hofstadter, the whole idea of saying, for example, that there's a 'paranoid style' in 'American politics' would elicit the response that this is an attempt at identifying 'national character,' which is essentialist, and effaces out-groups (who are often assumed a priori to take an oppositional stance) and generally a no-no.

Kelley mentioned the idea that history 'describes' while the social sciences 'explain.' There's some truth in that, but history wasn't always so militantly anti-explanation. The idea used to be that history explains, but it explains only a particular case, while the social sciences try to make generalized explanations over a wide range of cases (or all cases). Certainly historians 40 year ago did a lot more explaining than they do now.

Seth