[lbo-talk] Hofstadter

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Sat Mar 11 06:42:28 PST 2006

Seth Ackerman wrote:
>In any case, I gather there are relatively few historians under 60
>who have strong opinions about Hofstadter since political history
>almost doesn't exist anymore, so he's just not in their sub-field.

What do you mean by that? Isn't political history pretty important? Doug <<<<<>>>>>

in poli sci, hofstadter is read/noted by folks in american political development (sub-field that emerged in late 70s/early 80s), common to assign his _idea of a party system_ to grad students, and to have undergrad majors in political parties course be at least familiar with the book, apd bibliographies will often include his stuff on populism and progressivism era as well... mh