[lbo-talk] Abortion

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 11 23:21:03 PST 2006

Bitch | Lab wrote:

> http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1707141&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312
>
> I've never understood that claim anyway. In society -- in social
> life -- you don't win anything once and for all.

Some victories turned out to be short-lived. Abolition of death penalty, for instance. Other victories -- abolition of chattel slavery, de jure segregation, and so on -- have been won, and we won't lose them. Which kind of victory will abortion be?

There will be no going back on abortion, provided women stop keeping quiet about their experience of it, their need of it, their desire for it.

Women can't turn to the Democratic Party on this one. The next president won't be a Democrat. Hillary Clinton can't win the South, and she doesn't excite working-class folks in states like Ohio and Florida. More accurately, women can't turn to electoral politics on this one. Few voters make abortion a litmus issue.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>