[lbo-talk] Robert Fitch and Derek C. Bok

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 12 16:11:21 PST 2006

Marvin Gandall wrote:

>But having been involved in both campus-based movements and
>working-class organizations, I can assure you there is a difference, and it
>does affect your perspective.

I'm not sure about this, but I'll put it up anyway: Maybe we're all hoping/expecting that old modes of organization will revive themselves, like some re-run of the Flint sitdown strike 70 years later. But maybe that won't happen. Maybe the social base and organizational form of progressive politics has changed, or has to change further. We all, consciously or not, seem to treat "working class" movements as the gold standard, but maybe that's not quite true anymore.

Doug