[lbo-talk] Robert Fitch and Derek C. Bok

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 12 16:53:01 PST 2006

Seth Ackerman wrote:

>These are hard questions that we all have to ask. But it has to be
>pointed out that in the absence of "working class movements," it's
>not only the forms of organization that would change but the goals.
>It may be possible to have progressive social movements without the
>working class, but they won't be social movements with the goal of
>radically reducing inequality, for example. If you give up on the
>working class, you're giving up on certain hallowed desiderata in
>the process.

Well, since most of us are working class (except me, I'm petit bourgeois), any broad progressive movement would have to be domianted by the working class. But I suspect a lot of us have a more race- and gender-integrated cast that still bears a lot of resemblance to the horny-handed sons of toil in the backs of our minds.

Doug