[lbo-talk] Hofstadter

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Mar 12 17:25:40 PST 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006, Dennis Redmond posted:

A *much* better translation of the Adorno text than the standard. Bravo! And also a very nice gloss on the excerpt Doug posted.

I have a question, though:

> Latecomers and newcomers alike have a worrisome affinity for positivism,
> from the devotees of Carnap in India to the bold defenders of the German
> masters Matthias Grünewald and Heinrich Schütz.

Does he mean Matthias Grünewald the renaissance painter and Heinrich Schütz the early baroque composer?

If so, the connection to positivism somewhat eludes me.

Michael