[lbo-talk] Indian corp TCS aiming big expansion in China

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Mar 13 05:15:24 PST 2006

indiatimes http://in.indiatimes.com/

infotech

TCS aiming big expansion in China http://infotech.indiatimes.com/articleshow/msid-1420299,curpg-1.cms

PTI

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2006

MUMBAI: Aiming to garner a better share of the world's IT and ITeS market, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is planning to set new centres in China and Israel.

In an interview with news agency PTI, TCS Managing Director and CEO S Ramadorai said that his company also has big expansion plans in the Asia Pacific region and the middle east in addition to the company's large presence in American and European continents.

"We have got expansion plans for a delivery centre in China where we have, at present, about 350 professionals. Now we are expanding capabilities in China through operations in Shanghai and Beijing," he said.

Without revealing the amount that the company plans to invest, Ramadorai said TCS' investments would be in the order of wage and people that it would be recruiting.

"Whole thing is that we would be able to scale up to a couple of thousands in the next two to three years," he said.

The company is also evaluating prospects to set up a education and training centre in Pakistan.

"We are evaluating partner and it is a continuous process..we will take a call at the right time," Ramadorai said.

About Middle East, he said TCS was looking for a location in Israel "purely from a technological perspective" to set up a centre.

"We will look at a location in Israel purely from a technology perspective. We have a representative in Israel now...an employee of TCS. We have to see what are the tech capabilities and competencies before setting up a centre," he said.

TCS, which floated a joint venture company with the State Bank of India in November last year, plans to roll out a vendor asset management solution in the next few months targetting co-operative and regional rural banks.

"We are looking at some other applications in the area of vendor asset management, which includes how to manage assets and track the vendors performance. The software will be launched in the next couple of months," Ramadorai said.

The company is targetting co-operative banks and regional rural banks as part of this solution, he added.

TCS and SBI formed a technological joint venture 51:49 partnership C-EDGE Technologies Ltd in November that will offer technology and consulting services to the banking, financial services and insurance industry.

TCS' last fiscal had nearly 35 per cent of its revenues coming from the BFSI vertical.

About listing the company abroad, he said they have not decided anything on that.

"All of them are wooing us. the NASDAQ, NYSE, LSE, Luxemborg, Duetsche bourse. They have said that in case you go for a listing please look at our exchange as we provide a lot of liquidity," Ramadorai said.

We have to really take call on whether we want to list or not and if so what are the drivers for it, he added.

Copyright © 2006 Times Internet Limited.