[lbo-talk] Somebody reads Zizek

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 12:29:29 PST 2006

SLAVOJ ZIZEK: >London -- For centuries, we have been told that without religion we are no more than egotistic animals fighting for our share, our only morality that of a pack of wolves; only religion, it is said, can elevate us to a higher spiritual level.<

supposedly, wolves have a form of ethics, refusing to kill just for fun, etc.

On the other hand, the image of us as "no more than egotistic animals fighting for our share" fits with the economists' view of the world, with market life. -- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles