[lbo-talk] HUAC comes to Pacifica Radio Again

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 14 07:48:40 PST 2006

Hey Doug, I see you are as smug as usual about this which is too bad. One might be excused for thinking you have no connection the network. Why bother? So we can continue to hear shows such as yours no? - don't you care about your own program at least? Don't you care about having access to Pacifica to be interviewed on this and that? I don't know, maybe you have stoically accepted that WBAI may not be there tomorrow. Or perhaps you have made a deal with Bernard White and his JUC Jacobins that you will be part of the new dispensation after they have eviscerated the network - I 'm being factious here but I really don't grock your perspective on Pacifica, I find it bewildering. What I am saying is that if we don't bother then the only option is to stand by and watch as these people destroy the network - with WBAI, currently on life-support - first. I would presume that this is of some concern to you.

I'm not sure what you consider to be 'an interesting life' but Pacifica continues to draw and be important to many interesting people in terms of how I define the term. Pacifica politics is not that different from the politics of any other organization, it has its peculiarities to be sure, but all kinds of member-ship based non-profits - including famously the Sierra Club face major governance problems.

Staying involved with or at least caring about Pacifica is as important as staying involved in progressive politics. If Pacifica evaporated tomorrow a huge void would be created in progresive discourse.

I don't see it as a 'collective action problem' it is a problem of too many good people doing nothing or capitulating to the sort of devious politically correct policing of the kind reported about here.

Joe W.