[lbo-talk] warner as 2008 dem candidate

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Mar 14 09:05:37 PST 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Doug Henwood wrote:

> But he's religious!
>
> Have Dem strategists now concluded that the real message of What's The
> Matter With Kansas is that they need to move right on cultural issues?

Some might have, but Warner represents the oldest strategy in the book since the strategy book was rewritten by the civil rights act: Southern Governor for president. It's the only way the Dems have ever won the presidency since then. Both Carter and Clinton were very public about their faith. It's not a new thing. Rather it's just SOP among politicians in the south, among both liberals and conservatives, just like it used to be in the entire country before the 1960s.

I don't think Warner's surface religiosity is a problem so much as his conservatism on everything else. As usual, Max has the mot juste: Lieberman on grits.

Michael