[lbo-talk] In defense of atheism

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 14 12:02:17 PST 2006

Joanna writes:

> I liked this article mainly because it was so clear and
> eloquent. But it glides over some difficult issues w
> respect to religion and religious practice. It may be
> very fine for atheistic liberals to support the
> building of a mosque, but would they equally support the
> political disenfranchisement of women if it results from
> religious practice?

The answer to this question is "no," and I don't see how this is a "difficult issue." In this morning's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette there is a letter to the editor about a proposal to build an Islamic Center in the suburb of South Park. The writer says that before that happens, the people building the center should have to "denounce radical Islam." Whoever this guy is, he is obviously a racist and deserves to have a brick thrown through his front window.

At the same time, I remember that last year I was putting together some local arrangements for the USLAW tour of Iraqi trade unionists. We could have used the Islamic Center in Pittsburgh, but then I learned that men and women had to sit on opposite sides of the room, so that foreclosed the option without a second thought.

I don't see what is so complicated about all of this.