[lbo-talk] great article on mrzine on local organizing

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Mar 15 08:06:24 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> That's a good piece; it has a lot in common with our activistism essay
> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Action.html>. But both are mainly
> diagnoses - what's the cure? Is it just a matter of the pampered white
> folks of Happy Valley "reaching out" to their darker neighbors in
> Springfield? Is there a lot of action in Springfield that the
> middle-class radicals are missing? Or is not much happening?

Doug: When your essay on activistism first came out, I thought it contained some good criticisms about the climate of anti-intellectualism found in some activist circles. However, since that time your article has been adopted by those who wish to marginalize all forms of militant dissent. I've frequently read crap from members of the leftover left who cite your article in order to bash people involved in direct action activism. I happen to know that many of these people are voracious book readers, so I'm really disappointed in the ways your original article is being misused.

Chuck