[lbo-talk] a vile cesspit of a film

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Mar 15 14:21:34 PST 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski

What Herzog showed in Stroszek can be found in many places across the US - and it indeed looks like a mess someone left on the floor. Alexander Payne's portrayal of Omaha and the environs in About Schmidt fits the same mold. Outside a few playgrounds for the rich, the US is, for the most part, an ugly landscape (not counting the nature, of course).

Yesterday I had to drive into downtown Los Angeles from the south, via Interstate 5. The sheer ugliness of the landscape I drove through - South Central El Lay - staggers the mind. It is a cliché to call it a vision of Hell, but clichés are clichés because they are substantially true.

Speaking of Herzog, has anyone seen his _Grizzly man_? I was impressed.

What did you find so impressive about it, Woj? It certainly had many typical Herzog qualities - especially the weird Alaskan Coroner. I'd be interested in hearing your views.