[lbo-talk] Bush down to 33%; public loves posturingxenophobic congress

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Wed Mar 15 19:53:03 PST 2006

>You may claim that Robert Mendendez, the first latino Senator from New
>Jersey, whose old Congressional district is heavily muslim, is just a
>racist at heart and that all his stated reasons for opposing the deal
>reduce
>to simple xenophobe, but a bit more evidence would be nice.

-It was all about demonizing Arabs as untrustworthy terrorists. It was -revolting. And why would Latinos be exempt from this? They're -Americans too.

Doug-- there's been plenty of opportunities for Menendez to promote racial profiling and attacks on Arabs over the last few years. Somehow Menendez has skipped many other opportunities to do so, but chose to focus on the UAE's purchase of the ports. If he he such a racist, why did he pass on all those other opportunities.

Or sponsor legislation to ease the existing attacks on Muslim immigrants? http://www.hatefreezone.org/home/pressrelease.htm "The comprehensive immigration reform bill, sponsored in the Senate by Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA) and in the House by Representatives Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), puts forward several improvements to the U.S. immigration system...It would also address many of those caught up in deportation proceedings because of the Special Registration program, recently ended because it was both ineffective and targeted those of Muslim and Arab origin."

So we have "leftists" piling on to join the rightwing in accusing unions of corruption and joining the same rightwing in accusing latino Senators of racial profiling.

Some days it feels like I should just read Grover Norquist's talking points to find out what's on tap for LBO.

Nathan Newman