[lbo-talk] women opting out!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 16 09:31:16 PST 2006

> joanna wrote:
>
> Could not agree more. We should learn to think of education as one
> aspect of living a conscious life, not as a service we provide to
> future employers.

You are painting yourself into a corner with such unanalyzed propositions.

How many people _on their own_ are going to arrive at this understanding?

Who are the people who can change the conditions you object to?

I can answer the second question with very little doubt; the answer is nearly tautological. The people who must change the world are the overwhelmingly the people who at the present quite rationally see the aim of education to be fitting them for a future job.

I suggest you reread KM, Thesis III, with particular emphasis on the phrase, "the educator himself needs educating."

Mass movements do not consist of people dedicated to Socrates' vicious claim that "The unexamined life is not worth living." Translated into 19th century terms, Socrates was proclaiming that the only good inidan was a dead indian. Translated into 20th century terms, Socrates was providing the basis for the Final Solution. Translated into 21st century terms, Socrates was proclaiming that any american focused on earning a living was mere shit.

Carrol