[lbo-talk] TNR: universal health care now! or how to work forWal-Mart

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 08:55:14 PST 2006

what may be happening is that some assume that "what's good for Wal-Mart CANNOT be good for anyone else" (at least not anyone we value). While this is generally true, I don't think it's true for a single-payer universal health-care system.[*]

Taking this anti-Wal-Mart assumption too seriously seems a version of the old "ultra" assumption that all politics is "class against class." But in this case, the rejection of single-payer, it seems combined with "economism," i.e., the focus on narrow or local struggles as being the heart of all politics (with corresponding disdain for the "big picture").

Say it ain't so, Nathan!

[*] Any _true_ improvement in efficiency could benefit everyone -- including Wal-Mart -- without hurting anyone. BTW, most advertised improvements in efficiency in these neo-liberal days promise benefits to almost everyone and losses to no-one (with sufficient compensation going to the "losers") -- but in practice involve massive redistributions to the wealthy and powerful and no compensation to the "losers."

Single-payer might turn out to be just another neo-liberal "reform" that benefits the high and mighty and screws the rest. But if single-payer is won by a sufficiently large mass mobilization (as seems necessary) rather than be a Hillary-type top-down/technocratic manipulation, the mobilization would counteract the political winds pushing it in the neo-lib direction.