[lbo-talk] Fwd: [PEN-L] Kevin Phillips: declinist

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 17 09:22:33 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

>I have a few minutes, so I'll just summarize:
>
>1) of course fossil fuels are a finite resource (though some argue
>otherwise). But rather than arguing that point, I'll just focus on the
>points that the "peak oil" proponents tend to ignore.
>
>[This peak oil theory is a cousin of the Malthus/Ricardo theory of 200
>years ago or so. It's _natural_ limits to growth which is going to
>kill us, not capitalism or the hegemonic political bloc...]
>
>2) there is a lot of room to "mine" these resources more efficiently,
>so that more of the finite resources can be extracted as a percentage
>of what's there.
>
>3) more importantly, there's a lot of room to use these resources more
>efficiently, so that less of them of are needed per constant dollar of
>GDP. For example, the greater use of hybrid engines in cars would
>increase the efficiency of gasoline use. (I don't think fuel cells do
>the trick here.)
>
>4) there are substitutes for fossil fuels and there's a lot of room to
>use them.
>
>5) persistently rising prices for fossil fuels (relative to average
>prices) encourages the use of the "room" in (2), (3), and (4) by
>profit-seeking businesses. This is probably not enough to pull off a
>solution, but there's always government, which brings us to...
>
>6) there's a gigantic _political_ barrier to fully using the "room" in
>(2), (3), and (4), as exemplified by the Bush adminstration.

It's interesting that almost all these arguments were used in the 1970s to debunk Hubbert's claim that U. S. oil production would peak in the mid-70s and then decline. Geologists' statistical models--which supposedly ignore all of these sociopolitical factors--quite nicely predicted the decline (and continuing decline) of U. S. oil production. The Hubbert model has also been used to accurately predict patterns of oil production in a number of other countries. Let me put it this way: if I have to choose between a statistical model well-verified by data and neo-classical economic arguments about how price increases for a commodity will promote technological wonders, I'm going with the data.

Miles