[lbo-talk] Fwd: [PEN-L] Kevin Phillips: declinist

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 10:00:27 PST 2006

There are three separate layers of this discussion on peak oil: geologic, economic and social. In other words, there are hypotheses as to how much oil has been extracted to date and how much remains in the ground, just as there are hypotheses as to how the global economy will respond to limitations in the supply of fossil fuels and then there is the social side where social 'theorists', like Howard Kuntsler, make a living selling books on the effect of petroleum induced doom upon the world. Seems to me that the geology needs to be taken seriously - since it is a matter of science, no matter how imperfect, and the economic aspect of it is worthy of discussion.

As to petroleum induced doom, in a rationally operated economy a smoth transition to non-petroleum would be likely given the technology available to us. However, that is not the world we live in. Given the steadfast refusal of the political and econonmic leaderships of the U.S. to even acknowledge the much more firmly established fact - which is what it now is - of global warming, it is impossible not to despair of anything like a smooth transition absent major social and political change.. SR -------------- Original message -------------- From: Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu>