[lbo-talk] how to work for Wal-Mart

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Mar 17 13:13:34 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Devine" <jdevine03 at gmail.com>

> Nathan wrote:
> > How do the single payer folks on this list expect to win? That's
> > what I'm
> > not hearing. Zero strategy, zero power analysis.

-Nathan, to say this kind of thing is an indication that you'ver never -read Yoshie's contributions to lbo-talk.

Talking about power in the abstract is not talking about power analysis in the organizing sense-- listing opponents, how to move them to neutrality or even support in specific campaigns, and laying out a strategy that actually gets success. I hear lots of appeals to "if only the unions would do x" but not much power analysis on how to even convince them to do that; instead, I mostly hear union bashing with little constructive suggestions, other than platitudes about "if only the rank-and-file would organize."

It's all "if only" analysis, not concrete analysis of what resources exist and how to act now.

Nathan Newman