[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart & Part D

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Mar 17 15:02:00 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: Marta Russell -If we push for Medicare for All as some think is the best way to achieve -universal healthcare then the Medicare slow payment crap has got - to be dealt with. Lots of doctors won't fool with Medicare at all these days.

Or it can go the way of expanded Medicaid in the new "voucher" states: http://www.nwanews.com/adg/News/148020/

"State officials celebrated the federal approval Tuesday of a new Arkansas Medicaid program that will offer low-cost health insurance to small businesses...Arkansas is the 13th state to use federal Medicaid money to pay for health insurance for private businesses...The plan annually would pay for six doctor visits, seven inpatient hospital days, two outpatient hospital procedures or emergency room visits and two drug prescriptions. It would not provide catastrophic coverage."

This is the publicly-funded universal coverage employers want. Voluntary and barebones and designed only for healthy people.

Folks are attacking fair share health care mandates but the rightwing is implementing their version of "universal coverage" across conservative states.

Just the fact that I have to waste my breath in defending progressive bills given that national context just boggles my mind at the disconnect between people on this list and what the rightwing is doing around health care.

Nathan Newman