[lbo-talk] Re: Happy anniversary, Christopher Hitchens

Seth Kulick skulick at seas.upenn.edu
Fri Mar 17 15:24:03 PST 2006

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 23:21:43 +0100
> From: "Colin Brace" <cb at lim.nl>
> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Happy anniversary, Christopher Hitchens!
> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org
>
> Here is another, albeit earlier:
>
> "This will be no war -- there will be a fairly brief and ruthless
> military intervention.... The president will give an order. [The
> attack] will be rapid, accurate and dazzling.... It will be greeted by
> the majority of the Iraqi people as an emancipation. And I say, bring
> it on."
> (Christopher Hitchens, in a 1/28/03 debate-- cited in the Observer, 3/30/03)
>
> http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2842&printer_friendly=1
>
> --

A transcript of the full debate with this amazing paragraph at the end is here:

http://www.commonwealthclub.org/archive/03/03-01hitchensdanner-qa.html

Interestingly, the transcript has "accurate and overwhelming". I remember listening to this debate and he said "dazzling". Perhaps whowever produced the transcript couldn't believe he said "dazzling". I couldn't.

Although perhaps the most amazing part of this is right before this paragraph;

"What do I think is going to happen? I've been in London and Washington a lot lately and I can tell you that the spokesmen for Mr. Blair and Mr. Bush walk around with a look of extraordinary confidence on their faces as if they know something that when disclosed, will dissolve the doubts, the informational doubts at any rate, of people who wonder if there is enough evidence."