[lbo-talk] Gallup: most agree war a failure, time to get out

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 17 20:38:41 PST 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Three Years of War Have Eroded Public Support
>Majority of Americans want U.S. troops home within a year
>
>by David W. Moore
>
>GALLUP NEWS SERVICE
>
>[Unbury the lead! Waaay down in this story we learn:]

>* Whatever change in opinion about the war that has occurred in the past
>three years, most Americans continue to believe that at least the Iraqi
>people are better off today than they were before the war. In May 2004, 72%
>of the public expressed that view, compared with 67% in the current poll.

Dolts. "Most Americans" can connect all the dots except the last and most important one: The Iraqis -- even the ones who've survived -- got completely fucked over by the US. There is no pony in there somewhere, no redeeming feature to this criminal fiasco. At some level "most Americans" must recognize this because they acknowledge Iraq's future is bleak bleak bleak:

>* After three years of fighting by U.S. troops, Americans forecast a
>decidedly pessimistic future for Iraq -- 55% think it is more likely the
>situation there will degenerate into chaos and civil war, while just 40%
>expect the Iraqis to establish a stable government.

Carl