[lbo-talk] doom

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Mar 18 11:48:48 PST 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Great, so tell us how the fuck to take some big steps.

Grouchy today are we.

No need to wave the red flag. That's not a big step, it's an attempt to pole vault Pike's Peak.

We do need to continue (a) to mobilize as many people as possible around various issues, and (b) within the larger mobilizations (currently against the war) gradually to expand the awareness of companions to further issues that are urgently needed and that can be furthered by mass mobilization. What (borrowing from Michael Hoover) I found to be an instance of "crackpot realism" was grounding one's sense of possibility on a dogmatic assumption that small steps are always easier than big steps. The crisis in health care is, I think, an obvious instance where "small goals" are simply self-defeating. In fact, the point seemed obvious enough to me that it was not worthwhile arguing it against dogmatists such as Nathan.

Carrol