[lbo-talk] Jim Kunstler on the real estate bubble

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon Mar 20 10:32:10 PST 2006

On 3/20/06, Steven L. Robinson <srobin21 at comcast.net> wrote:

> (Learned observer or chicken little? You be the judge. SR)

I really enjoyed JHK's *Geography of Nowhere* when I read it a few years ago; it is an engaging history of the rise of suburbia in the US. I also read his weekly blog rants. As an architecture critic he has lots of interesting things to say; as a prognosticator of things to come, however, he is less successful. In the aftermath of Katrina he predicted all manner of social upheaval in the US this winter on account of rising gas prices. He obviously sees a lot of things wrong with American society, but he continues to anticipate some kind of grand cataclysmic event which would enable others to see those things as well, and that kind of rapturous revelation doesn't seem to be in the cards.

On the other hand, people in various quarters are indeed riffing on the real estate bubble theme these days...

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam