[lbo-talk] WP: Fun Profile of Lewis Lapham

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 13:30:07 PST 2006

>"The CIA was in temporary buildings, Quonset huts down by the Lincoln
Memorial," {Lewis Lapham] says. "The interview was at a wooden table with four guys, all from Yale. They were of a type that I had come to ridicule at Yale -- the George W. Bush type."

>What type is that?

>"Eastern, rich, privileged, arrogant, perennial cheerleader," he
says, the adjectives rolling out in his patrician voice.<

It's true that back in the 1950s, the CIA was a Yalie haven. It's quite possible that William Buckley, Jr. was one of them. I doubt that it's an Ivy League place now. Philip Agee says in "Inside the Company" that the Agency had started to recruit at Catholic and Second Tier colleges when he joined.