[lbo-talk] Bush says US troops to remain in Iraq indefinitely

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Mar 22 03:44:44 PST 2006

The "Long War" has been declared:

We are at a critical time in the history of this great country and find ourselves challenged in ways we did not expect. We face a ruthless enemy intent on destroying our way of life and an uncertain future."

Gen Pace was endorsing the Pentagon's four-yearly strategy review, presented to Congress last week. The report sets out a plan for prosecuting what the the Pentagon describes in the preface as "The Long War", which replaces the "war on terror". The long war represents more than just a linguistic shift: it reflects the ongoing development of US strategic thinking since the September 11 attacks.

full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,1710062,00.html

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal