[lbo-talk] Re: it lives

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 22 11:28:45 PST 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:

>You should probably subscribe to femecon-l
>and see how the beleagured ranks of women in economics are reacting to
>present conditions. (I believe Doug occasionally quotes from Barbara
>Bergman.

Yes - "the dean of feminist economists." She's an anti-Marxist, anti-Third World social democrat who thinks we have to protect our civilization from the hordes outside our borders. But she's pretty entertaining sometimes.

The feminist economists mostly have a very 1970s theoretical worldview. Lots of what used to be called "cultural feminism"* - anti-Freudian, and gender essentialist. Not that they're actually reflective about theory; being economists, they're rather intellectually isolated. There are exceptions, of course, but from reading femecon-l over the years, that's the central tendency.

Doug

----

*<http://www.amazoncastle.com/feminism/ecocult.shtml>

Cultural Feminism The theory that there are fundamental personality differences between men and women, and that women's differences are special and should be celebrated. This theory of feminism supports the notion that there are biological differences between men and women. For example, "women are kinder and more gentle then men," leading to the mentality that if women ruled the world there would be no wars. Cultural feminism is the theory that wants to overcome sexism by celebrating women's special qualities, women's ways, and women's experiences, often believing that the "woman's way" is the better way.